Saturday, October 16, 2010

Better Late Then Never : )

So here I go girls... As I write this I am on my way to Columbia to see the one and only Marta : ) The house has sure been quiet with her away at school! But if anyone in this world was created for college life - it was Marta. She is LOVING Mizzou! She has gotten involved with RUF, has great roommates and is set on becoming a social worker.


My mom, Noah and I are meeting up with my Aunt Mary and cousin Caleb from Sioux Falls, in Columbia. My other cousin, Gideon, also goes to Mizzou (and trust me, everyone is like, “Why are you, a South Dakota boy, at Mizzou???) It’s been so great for Marta and him to be together!


Sunday is the 5th anniversary of my cousin’s death, and we didn’t want my aunt to be alone - so it is nice that we can all be together in Columbia this weekend!


Life’s been good in the ol’ STL! I don’t have kids, a husband or a dog : ) ... But I do love my job! (Hey! I am pretty sure I just rhymed!) Work is WAY better this year - thanks to new staff and less negativity. It seriously feels like a different school. It makes such a difference who you work with! It has also been nice making more friends with the other faculty.


In many ways it has been challenging because I am the only 5th grade teacher and I have 19 students. Part of the challenge has been realizing the significant academic needs of this class. Let’s just say, the TLC Resource teacher last year was overwhelmed, overworked, and therefore WAY BEHIND on paperwork. So far this year we have been putting the pieces back together - just figuring out who has been served before, tested, or brought before CARE Team. Thankfully we have new TLC staff this year who have done an excellent job of putting the TLC back in order.


However, this means that names keep popping up. 10 of the 19 kids in my class have been brought before CARE Team. (CARE Team is a group of teachers who meet together to start the process of creating a plan - for example, creating interventions, testing, modifications, etc.) Usually you would have 3 or 4 students from your class in TLC. SO... I have the pleasure of filling out tons of paperwork, calling parents and hearing them cry, and sitting in zillions of meetings. But I am ok with it because it is time for these kids to get the help they deserve!


Central has also figured out that we need a better screening process of who we let into the school. Central can’t logistically support that many needy students. (For example, Westminster accepts 10% of the student population into the school with learning difficulties - I have over 50% in my class!)


So, slowly but surely we are getting things in order!


Just promise me this ladies, if there is ever a concern about your children, listen and be proactive! So many of these kids should have gotten help 3 or 4 years ago but their parents were in denial and refused services and are really suffering now because of it! AND, most importantly, DO NOT blame the teacher : ) Ha ha, I just had to add that in there : ) Teachers share concerns because they love the children they teach...NOT because we hate them (like so many parents think!) HELLO! It’s not like it makes our job easier!


OK...now I am off the soapbox!


There is more to life than work...


I have started going to BSF and I really like it! I have to admit, I just went to be nice. A friend of mine invited me. But I ended up really liking it! And NO I am not going to BSF to try to find a husband. EVERYONE keeps asking me if that is the reason I am going. I had no idea that that is a “thing!” But everyone keeps saying that’s what happens. Barf in my mouth. Ew. No.



I hope everyone else is doing well! I just love fall : )


I promise to keep posting if you guys do!


Ok, one more thing... So I am friends with this guy on Facebook that I went to elementary school with in Sioux Falls. He writes the funniest status’...in fact he is a stand up comedian (I do NOT recommend looking him up, he is Dirty with a capital “D” - but still hilarious!)


So this was his status today...


“I just saw a homeless man litter, and at first I was kind of pissed, but then I was like, who am I to judge? My room is super messy too.”


Love, love, love,


Johanna




No comments:

Post a Comment